Search This Blog

Friday, August 31, 2012

Mind Full of Music


The other night, I had the chance to catch dinner at an awesome Thai restaurant with my good friend, Evan. This seems to be a rarity now-a-days, not only because of distance and my chaotic schedule that has ensued, but also because one-on-one time with anyone for a meal lately seems to come less often than it ought to. As a society, we have become so consumed with the dependence on connecting via social media, text messaging, phone calls, or Skype, that face-to-face interaction has become the minority in the hustle and bustle of our ever so busy lifestyles. It was refreshing to say the least to catch up with someone who has helped encourage me to express myself and share my thoughts with the world.

One of the more notable advantages of our meeting though was his ingenious point that my blog thus far has covered a few interesting and even educational topics, yet it has lacked one of the more influential points of interest that encompasses my life: Music. Since I was a little girl, I have always been obsessed with music. My parents would tuck me into bed at night around the age of four and my mom would turn on my plastic, primary colored FM/AM radio to the oldies station to lull me to sleep. By age eight I had graduated to Dallas' local rock station at the time, 94.5 The Edge. I then had the pleasure of falling asleep to Alice in Chains' sick guitar riffs and Billy Corgan vocalizing his transition from youth to adulthood in "1979". Even at such a ripe age, I still recognized and thoroughly appreciated the quality of sound within the era.

First and foremost, I must say I have the coolest parents on the planet for allowing me to listen to rock, and furthermore, for taking me to see some of the incredible bands that shaped the 90's while they were high in their prime. I remember going to this enormous festival called Rock Fest in 1997 where headliners like No Doubt, Counting Crows, Collective Soul, and Bush played. I'll never forget that experience mostly because of the overload of ear candy I heard, but also because I was upset when the idiotic dehydrated drunkards began throwing beer bottles just before Bush played. Not surprisingly, we had to leave.


By middle school, I discovered my attraction to heavier rock bands like Deftones, System of a Down, Staind, Tool, and Metallica. I would carry a huge black CD case around with me and listen to music any chance I had on my portable CD player I kept in my orange Jansport backpack. I then grew to love and appreciate my parent's music they would play on family road trips like America, The Beatles, The Guess Who, Creedence Clearwater, and Eric Clapton. The irony is that the music I enjoy listening to the most today reminds me of music from my parent's generation... bringing me back around full circle. I suppose the members of "my" bands were subjected to "Stairway to Heaven" one too many times too.

It wasn't until late high school that I transitioned into the Indie genre and began appreciating music that hasn't been oversaturated on the FM airways. I also noticed that by welcoming bands that haven't made it to enormous stages quite yet, I get the chance to experience them live in personal, quaint venues.

The dilemma occurs when I take notice that my circle of friends and the people I have associated myself with throughout school, work, or in my hobbies,  do not seem to take an interest in music the way I do... And especially not the same genre. I have always felt isolated in this sense. This could be attributed to the notion that I don't fit the typical mold of a rock lover or an indie chick. I oppose being in public without my hair perfectly addressed, form fitting clothes, and a full face of makeup. (Thanks, mom for always making me put on lipstick).

My outer stereotype is polar opposite of my inner stereotype. I suppose society could be to blame for this... and for creating stereotypes in the first place. The point I am making though is through my discovery of all the insanely talented bands I have fallen in love with to date, I have not had many people to share this passion with. I have essentially been a music loner trapped in my own opinions and perceptions of sound. 

Nonetheless, I am perfectly comfortable in my own skin and appreciate being unique. It's not every day you meet a pageant queen who can sing every word to Bohemian Rhapsody, verbatim. My goal by writing about my music interests is to reach audiences who share my same enthusiasm, and who can bounce ideas and opinions against mine. In the meantime, I am going to expand my music library, discover new sound, and attend more live shows. So keep an eye out for me... I'll be in the pit.

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean Shannon! I play drums for a rock cover band in NoVA. Music gives me so much enjoyment and energy. I love that you have such a well-rounded taste in music too. And you are right .. being in the pit is the only way to experience it. I've got tickets to see Motley Crue's final tour and also Katy Perry when she comes to DC. Ha! Love her. Anyway, loved your blog post and glad we could share our love for music!

    ReplyDelete