Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Why am I a Vegetarian?

I am asked this question often, especially during pageant interviews. People always want to know why I don't eat meat. Is it because I am an animal rights activist? Is it because my parents don't eat meat? Is it because I am a weirdo hippie? Well, the truth is that I just don't like it!

Ever since I was old enough to recall eating, I have turned down meat. As a child my parents would try to insist that I eat it, but I was always disgusted by the idea of chewing on flesh. Of course I love animals, but I honestly believe that God put them on this earth for humans to consume and use for various needs like warmth, shelter, etc. I am not offended when other people buy/cook/order/cosume meat... I just don't want it in MY belly.

You might even say I am borderline Vegan. I don't eat eggs, I don't drink milk, and I am turned off by some other dairy products. Again, this boils back down to the fact that I just don't like it. I don't like the taste, I don't like the texture, and I don't like the smell. I have never even tried/tasted an actual steak in my entire life and honestly, I have no desire to.

Another question I am often asked is "How do you get enough protein?" The truth is that I probably don't get enough... but I certainly try. I eat meat substitutes, lots of soy products, any kind of whole grains with increased protein like Quinoa or Kashi cereal, and protein shakes daily. However, I haven't always been this conscious about my health. As a child, I could care less if I took in enough protein or vitamins. It didn't hit me until I was about 17 that I probably don't get enough nutrients in my diet.

Now, I'm kind of obsessed with making sure that I am eating properly for more than one reason. I won't go into detail about my dad's heart health just yet, but I will say that due to his extreme heart issues I am much more concerned for my own future state of health and try to promote heart health awareness as much as I can.

Please feel free to ask me any vegetarian related or heart health related questions! I am happy to help or give my insight!!

1 comment: